Friday, November 8, 2013

Remembrance Day

This week was quite the contrast to last week as we talked about and remembered veterans for Remembrance Day. The students loved hearing stories from each other about their ancestors who served our country. The stories were incredible and students had such a sense of pride as they told them to the class. We were lucky to even have R's grandmother come and tell us about her father and uncle who are heroes. Thank you for coming!

The Remembrance Day Assembly was so well done and I tried not to get emotional as the grade ones were singing. They did such a great job and they were very respectful. I loved seeing a few of them salute the veterans who were sitting on the front row.

We will be sending off our Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes on November 14. Thank you so much to those of you who have donated so far! If you would like to donate, here are some potential items you could purchase:
-wash clothes
-stuffed animals
-skipping rope
-flip flops
-slinky
-combs
-one toothbrush (in own packaging)
-hair stuff (girl)
-t-shirt
-multi-tool
-musical instruments (harmonica, whislte)
-play-doh
-part of the $12.00 remaining needed for shipping costs

Student Led Conferences will be on November 20. If you have not been to Student Led Conferences before, basically they are a re-vamped Parent-Teacher Interviews. Student Led Conferences are a way for your child to show you their best work from each term. I like to keep SL Conferences super informal so when you come to the school, your child will show you to their desk and show you their portfolio which will contain their best work. After you have gone through the portfolio together, you will make some goals for the next term. To make scheduling a little easier for everyone, you can come anytime between 3:45 and 5:30. I will be available when you come to answer any questions and talk about successes and concerns if necessary. If you would like to schedule a more formal interview, please let me know and I would love to talk with you! If you cannot make it on November 20, I can send home your child's portfolio with them for you to talk about it at home and them send back to school.

Book Orders are due on Friday, November 15. 

I think that's all for this week! Have a great long weekend!!

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment